Are you looking for the best elderly pillows? If your answer is yes, then this article is for you.
The positioning pillow is a pillow that allows you to sleep in the most comfortable position possible, reducing discomfort and pressure while also improving posture, relaxation, and comfort.
Picking the right posture pillow for seniors is significant because as individuals age, their bodies become weaker and their bodies are unable to operate effectively. As a reason, individuals suffer from a variety of pains, aches, and ailments.
As a consequence, a precisely positioned pillow might be the remedy to their pain and other problems.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the best positioning pillows for the elderly.
Top 10 Best Positioning Pillows for the Elderly
There are a variety of knee, neck, shoulder, leg, back, and arm positioning pillows available. Here, we’ll go over several fantastic selections for the best positioning pillows for the elderly, as well as benefits and drawbacks.
1. Bedsore Rescue Jewell Contoured Wedge Positioning pillow
|Material||Foam interior cushion and Polyurethane medical fabric|
|Item Weight||1.75 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||28 x 14 x 5 inches|
This pillow is ideal for older people who suffer from pressure injuries. It has the ability to reduce pressure on the spine and tailbone.
This pillow is 28 x 14 x 5 inches in size. The National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel recommends a pillow for the elderly people which has a slope of thirty degrees.
It contains foam layers with great efficiency for equal pressure distribution. Since the top section is made of antibacterial and water-resistant nylon, it is pleasant. The bottom side is non-skid, reducing the risk of slipping.
- Prevents pressure injuries from spine and tailbone.
- Optimizes pressure distribution with high-efficiency layered foam.
- Easy to maintain and suitable for multi patient use.
- Moisture-proven cover improves microclimate management.
- Uniquely contoured design helps to distribute the weight evenly.
- Non-skid surface is not enough to prevent slipping out.
- The price is comparatively high.
2. Cushy Form Wedge Positioning Pillow
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||25 x 24 x 12 inches|
If you are suffering from diseases such as snoring, acid reflux, gastroesophageal reflux, or breathing problems, then this one should be your perfect match. This is because it gives your back, neck, and shoulders the support they need to help you sleep better.
It is made of memory foam. In fact, by contouring to your neck, shoulders, and head, the high density foam provides a pleasant slope for a calm experience.
This pillow is 25 x 24 x 12 inches in size. Most importantly it features a soft washable cover and is wedge-shaped.
- Relieves pain in the back and neck.
- Provides relief with GERD and acid reflux issues.
- The wedge is both comfortable and effective in reducing snoring.
- Have a soft and breathable cover.
- The high-density memory foam top increases comfort.
- Improves general health to promote a healthier sleeping position.
- Provides relief from orthopedic health issues with your spine, neck and shoulders.
- Flexible and multi purposeful.
- It does not have a tapered edge.
- The foam is a little bit hard compared to others.
3. Queen Rose Pregnancy Pillow
|Color||Blue and Gray|
|Product Care||Machine Wash|
It’s a pillow that covers the entire body. This pillow provides support throughout the body. Despite the fact that it is called a queen rose pregnancy pillow, it is more beneficial to the elderly than to pregnant women. It is 16.4 x 13.4 x 9.2 inches in length.
The U shape of this pillow makes it very pleasant for the seniors. In fact, this pillow can be used for a variety of purposes including sleeping, reading, watching TV, breastfeeding, and so on.
- Works great as a pain reliever.
- Prevents fibromyalgia, sciatica, poor posture.
- The ergonomically built pillow provides increased comfort when sleeping.
- Filled with bionic polyethylene which is smell free and comfortable.
- Comes with versatile use.
- Not very firm at all.
- The sides are skinny and the center part.
4. InteVision Ortho Bed Wedge Pillow
|Item Weight||3.2 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||24 x 21 x 8 inches|
This pillow is an excellent choice for folks who have undergone surgery or an accident since it helps them heal faster. It’s also a great option for people who suffer from swelling legs or Edema.
It aids in proper spine alignment. As a consequence, back pain is relieved, spinal tension is reduced, and blood circulation is improved.
The pillow has a wedge shape and is blue in color. This one includes a breathable Egyptian cotton cover with such a thread count of 400. The dimension of this pillow is 8 x 21 x 24 inches .
- Improves blood circulation.
- Relieves back pain.
- Performs well to reduce pressure on the spine.
- Breathable and easy cleaning cover.
- Made of high quality two-layered memory foam which makes it more comfortable for elderly.
- Torn within a week.
- Too short in length.
5. Sunnors Lumbar Support Positioning Back Pillow
|Color||Bed Lumbar Suooprt|
|Material||Premium medical Memory Foam filling and high-grade cotton fiber cover|
|Item Weight||1.2 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||23.5 x 12 x 1.95 inches|
This pillow is designed to provide lumbar support while sleeping. It’s an ergonomically designed ideal pillow that offers exceptional support by maintaining proper hip, spine, and leg alignment.
It is made of high-quality memory foam that retains its shape for long-term support. The pillow is also suitable for those who sleep on their backs or sides. This pillow is 23.5 x 12 x 1.95 inches and weighs 1.2 pounds. On the whole, this pillow is ideal for people who suffer from lower back ache.
- Ideal for relieving lower back pain.
- Reduces pressure on the lower back.
- Washable cotton fiber cover.
- Multi-functional capabilities.
- This high-quality memory foam retains its form,
- Antibacterial, and dust-resistant.
- Much thinner at the bottom which is not enough support.
- The lumbar elevation may be a bit too high for some people.
6. ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Positioning Pillow
|Item Weight||0.5 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||9.8 x 7.9 x 6.3 inches|
It’s basically a knee pillow. Whether elderly or not, this would be a great option for anyone suffering from hip, back, or knee discomfort.
Usually, this pillow is put between the knees. It maintains proper alignment, especially while resting on your side, and relieves pressure.
It is composed of 100 percent high grade, long-lasting memory foam that delivers hours of comfort. This pillow is 9.8 x 7.9 x 6.3 inches and weighs 0.5 pounds. It has a wedge shape to it as well.
- Helpful for knee pain.
- Relieves sciatica, back & hip Pain.
- Contoured design provides maximum support through proper knee alignment.
- Ideal for pressure relieving.
- Machine washable cover with a breathable zipper.
- 100% premium quality memory foam which provides long term comfort.
- There is not enough firmness.
- It gets flat after a few hours of usage.
7. HealthSmart DMI Wedge Positioning Pillow
|Material||High density foam|
|Item Weight||2.16 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||24 x 24 x 12 inches|
This pillow supports the head, back, knee, foot, and legs as well as the upper and lower body. This pillow would be ideal for acid reflux sufferers since it inhibits acid reflux while also improving circulation. It’s perfect for recovering from surgery on the knee, foot, or leg.
It’s made of polyester cotton and foam, so it’s quite comfortable. The cover is easily removable and cleanable. It has a wedge shape to it. This pillow is 24 x 24 x 12 inches and weighs 1.9 pounds.
- Relieves acid reflux, respiratory problems.
- Helps to minimize snoring.
- Reduces neck, shoulder, or back pain
- Relieves back pain, varicose veins, phlebitis and restless leg syndrome.
- Machine washable cover with a zipper which is removable.
- Made of high quality polyester cotton and foam which is soft and firm.
- Too hard.
- After a few days of use, the foam became thinner and lost its shape.
8. Avana Kind Bed Orthopedic Support Positioning Pillow
|Item Weight||12 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||32.5 x 11 x 24 inches|
This is really a complete body positioning pillow set that supports the entire body. The gentle bed set has four pillow sections that work together to support your body when you sit upright. It may be utilized when reading, watching TV, or simply relaxing in bed.
It’s composed of high Viscose memory foam that weighs 4 lbs. This bed set weighs a total of 12 pounds and includes a variety of pillow sizes.
- Helps to relieve aching pressure points for hips, legs and feet.
- Ergonomic curved design wedge pillow ensures full upper body and back support.
- Comes with multi functional features.
- Machine washable and breathable cover which is made of micro-velvet fabric.
- Very stiff.
- Too thin layer of memory foam.
- Insufficient arm support.
9. Contour BackMax Positioning Bed Wedge Pillow
|Item Weight||4.54 Grams|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||70 x 14 x 20 inches|
This pillow set is made up of 3 foam wedges. It may be used to read, sit, or watch TV in an upright position, as well as to sleep in an upright posture.
For maximum stability, this set features a high quality foam base. The wedges include anti-slip coating on the bottom to keep them in place all night.
This pillow set is 70 x 14 x 20 inches in regular size, and 70 x 28 x 14 inches in plus size.
- Helps with digestive symptoms like gastroesophageal or acid reflux.
- Helps with respiratory issues like colds, flu, sleep apnea, or COPD.
- Ideal for post-surgery recovery or pregnancy support.
- Reduces pressure points associated with back discomfort.
- Easy washable cover.
- Hard as rock.
- Does not fit for all.
10. Alex Orthopedic Deluxe Positioning Pillow
|Brand||Alex Orthopedic Inc|
|Item Weight||12 Pounds|
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||32.5 x 24 x 11 inches|
The mega foam bed wedge pillow is a full-body support pillow that is ergonomically designed to give the most comfort and support for your back.
This pillow is filled with medical grade durable high quality foam and poly-urethane.
The usual size of this pillow set is 32.5 x 24 x 11 inches and weight is 12 pounds.
- From head to toe, it produces a calm and balanced stance.
- Adjustable placement provides great support for the lower back, legs, and knees.
- Perfect for back support as well as digestive illnesses.
- Comes with multi-functionalities.
- Machine washable and removable cover.
- Comparatively expensive.
- Insufficient arms support.
Our most favorite is the Bedsore Rescue Jewell Contoured Wedge pillow. It has the ability to relieve pressure on the spine and tailbone. This pillow’s distinctive contoured form helps to relieve pressure and equally distribute weight. It also has a 30 degree tilt. As a result, it will be a fantastic solution for the elderly.
HealthSmart DMI Wedge Pillow is the most budget friendly pillow in our list. This pillow is an upper and lower body positioning pillow which supports head, back, knee, foot, and legs. It helps circulation while also preventing acid reflux. It’s perfect for speedy recovery after knee, foot, or leg surgery.
Why Do You Need A Positioning Pillow?
Getting older is inevitable which no one can avoid. If you have an elderly parent or relative at your home, you should have a good look at their bedding products. Among all, the best positioning pillow for elderly can make them comfortable, keep them in the right position while they read, relax, and sleep.
It’s needed for relief from stress and pain. It’s soft enough to provide airflow support and keeps warm to maintain the shape. It provides some health issues like relieves from acid reflux, neck pain, shoulder pain, back pain, hip pain, and snoring.
It provides a relaxing and soothing sleep which makes you more active. Moreover, it recovers from the leg, foot, or any kind of knee surgery.
It acts as a rehabilitation aid after an injury or surgery. It ensures a better alignment throughout the entire body and also relieves pressure.
Benefits of Positioning Pillows
A good positioning pillow comes with a number of benefits for the elderly community. Let’s explore them.
By enabling your body to be aligned properly, positioning pillows can help you improve your posture. Your posture will be affected if you sleep in the wrong position.
It works wonders for pain relief. Most elderly individuals, in particular, suffer from various types of pain, such as knee pain, back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, and so on. For them, position pillows are an excellent choice.
Aids in the relief of pressure by ensuring unique ergonomic support to your body. Moreover, it helps uniform distribution of pressure.
Positioning pillows guarantee that your blood circulation is improved by assisting with optimal spine alignment.
Supports the body
Pillows can help you support your body in the right position. Some positioning pillows, in fact, support the entire body, providing long-term comfort and relaxation.
Prevents digestive issues
With the use of positioning pillows, digestive difficulties such as snoring, ulcers, GERD, or breathing problems can be alleviated. Surprisingly, it works well throughout pregnancy and post-surgery recovery.
Buying Guide – Positioning Pillows for the Elderly
While purchasing any pillows for the elderly, you need to consider a number of criteria. Here are a few examples:
Before purchasing, it is vital to investigate the materials. If the materials aren’t up to the mark, you won’t get any comfort or relaxation. Instead, it may increase your discomfort. As a result, you should opt for a pillow made of long-lasting, high-quality materials.
You should pick your pillow shape carefully. Pillows come in a variety of forms to address various issues. So, first and foremost, you must determine the nature of your issues. For example, If you have back problems, you should use a wedge-shaped pillow.
Pillows provide support for your back, knees, legs, head, shoulders, and other body parts. Your money will be wasted if you buy a non-supportable pillow since non-supportable pillows produce discomfort rather than comfort.
Level of firmness
A good pillow has the right amount of firmness. You will be uncomfortable if your pillow is not firm enough. As a result, you should get a pillow that is neither too soft nor too rigid.
Pillows are available in a variety of sizes. You should find your ideal size. You will not gain much advantage from a little pillow if you are too large.
Frequently Asked Questions [ FAQ ]
What is the greatest positioning pillow for an old person suffering from severe knee pain?
Answer: For elderly people suffering from severe knee discomfort, the ComfiLife Orthopedic Knee Positioning Pillow is the finest option. This pillow is typically positioned between the knees and aids in the relief of knee discomfort by ensuring adequate alignment between the knees.
What considerations should you make before purchasing a positioning pillow?
Answer: Before you go out and buy a positioning pillow, you need to figure out what sort of pillow you require. Then, based on your needs, you should select pillows by looking at the types of fabrics, forms, stiffness, size, and weights.
Why are positioning pillows great for the elderly?
Answer: Positioning pillows give the proper support to the elderly. Since they suffer from many difficulties such as pains, fibromyalgia, sciatica, poor posture, acid reflux and so many breathing problems, positioning pillows can help them avoid all of these issues.
So why are you waiting? Go out and get the best positioning pillows for the elderly. Best wishes.